I’ve recently been on a decluttering journey. The most recent was my make up. After a year of not going anywhere, I was sure that there were some tubes that would need to go. Make up doesn’t have a very long shelf life but yet it’s so easy to buy multiple shades of items or buy something “for an occasion” and then not using it again.
I want to be more intentional in every aspect of my life and this includes my make up.
I’ll admit, I’m actually not very good at make up. I can’t get an eyelash curler to work with my lashes and I don’t like to wear foundation. I don’t care for lipsticks anymore and I have once gone to the local cosmetics store asking the assistant for help at how to stop mascara from smudging all over my eyes.
What I have learnt about make up, is to write in texter on the label the month/year I opened the product so I can keep track on how long I’ve had items for. It’s amazing to look in your collection and then realise how much time has passed with a product. The only item I don’t do this with is mascara which I change quite often as I am a contact lens wearer.
What I got Rid Of:
- Stila Glitter Eyeshadow which was dry
- Rimmel translucent powder which I opened in 2017 and haven’t really used as I like another product more
- MaxFactor Blush which I opened in 2017 and also haven’t really used as I like another product more
- Revlon Matte Lipbalm which I opened in 2016! Again, not used that much as I’ve stopped wearing coloured lips
- Maybelline Master Precision Eye Liner which I haven’t used in ages and can’t remember when I started using this
- Clinique Eye Pencil which was a free sample but I never used it and it doesn’t twist up/down anymore
As much as I would like to make my collection more natural and eco-friendly, I’m not in the position financially to do this. So far, I’ve chosen to have my lip balm and deodorent products be natural. I think I’m also past the stage of experimenting with colours and products and have my favourites now that I will keep going back to when I need more. And I need to stop buying backups.
How has your make up routine/collection changed?