For todays Dancefloor December, I’ve chosen Despacito by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee. It’s in Spanish (I do love learning languages through song), a mix of reggaeton and latin pop.
I didn’t only chose this song because I really like it but it’s broken some records since its release in January 2017:
– Held the #1 song on the Billboard’s “Hot Latin Song” list for 56 consecutive weeks making it the Most weeks at No.1 on Billboard’s Hot Latin Songs chart and the Longest duration on the billboard charts.
– Most viewed music video online
– Most liked music video
– Most viewed music video on YouTube (duet)- currently at 7 billion!
– Most streamed track worldwide
– First YouTube video to receive 5 billion views
– Most viewed video online
Catapulting latin pop into the airwaves of non Spanish speaking countries, this song is more than the sultriness and butt shaking the clip portrays. This song is a tribute to Puerto Rico, home country of Luis Fonsi, featuring the former Miss Universe, and clips of the La Perla neighbourhood which were battered by Hurricanes and once run by gangs. Because of this song, La Perla has seen an increase in tourist interest and activities.
I invite you to the dancefloor.